Sunday, June 8, 2008

Cosy



I have not felt such a strong 'nesting instinct' since the children were tiny babies. I take it to be a phase that I shall pass through, but, for the moment, I have yielded to the desire to wrap us in warmth and security. So, of course, we need our security blankets! I bought these two welsh blankets from Jen Jones because we were feeling cold all the time, even in the warmer weather, and duvets did not seem to answer to our need. I find the small details of colour and texture restful; taking time to be attentive to subtle shades has helped to ease some of the anxious stress & pain that clamps onto my chest. It brings a little relief. I also have a light green durham quilt which I bought off ebay, and I think about the woman who would have stitched it. In her time, early death would have been far more common than it is today, and she would have been experienced in mourning. Mourning is a practice that we have lost, along with many household handicrafts. Did she stitch her pain into the quilt? It is not beyond the realms of possibility. I do not have her skill, but I have stitched my pain into the fabric of our lives - whilst we live fully, we grieve fully.

No comments: